Pages

Eating Seasonably

Sunday, 2 October 2016

I haven't always eaten seasonal fruit and vegetables, but over the past year or so I have realised how nutrionionally important (and tasty) it is to eat foods that are in season. I'm not sure why I have only come to this conclusion now, as growing up my mother would always tell me how fresh Cyprus potatoes are in July and how oranges are at their sweetest later in the year (as well as many other motherly pearls of wisdom....thanks mum!). I suppose with the hustle and bustle of daily life, I was drawn into the idea that all vegetables and fruit should be available all year round, regardless of whether it is in season or not and the nutrional benefits didnt really factor. Thankfully, I have woken up and smelt the blackberries (quite literally, as you will find out).

Without going into the minutiae of this subject, I thought it would be nice to just mention a few fruit and veg that are in season now and how I'm including them in my diet: Right, time for breakfast and these days its a hearty bowl of Kelloggs Bran Flakes with warm organic milk, about 15 fresh blackberries (in season and yes, I do count them) and if I remember (which I didn't this morning) a dollop of almond butter. Cucumbers, sweetcorn, broccolli and my personal favourite this time of year, brussel sprouts, the latter two I boil with my pasta to save on time. Apples are another winner for snacks and to satisfy my sweet tooth.

I would highly recommend downloading the Eat Seasonably Calender and if you're on Facebook, to "Like" their page to have fresh and juicy posts about what's in and what's out in the fruit and veg world. I enjoy seeing their veggie and fruity pictures almost as much as those posted by my cousin of her and her husband's recent trip to Prague.....ok may be not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS